Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First Day Out

So a little backstory might help a bit. Even if no one reads this, it'll be good for me to read later.

I'm 27 years old. I've been overweight since I was in 3rd grade. I've been wanting to join the Army for a while but something has always held me back, besides my weight. I've had girlfriends for years and just gotten complacent. I was happy to be working a crappy job cause I could come home to my girlfriend and just enjoy my time. Well I'm single now and not exactly happy.

Back before my ex-girlfriend, I took the ASVAB for the Army and scored a 92 out of a potential 99. I was told I could get pretty much any job I wanted except ones that need a clearance (I have some debt) and some that you need perfect vision. An ASVAB score is only good for a couple of years and I let that slide by without losing any weight. I'm tired of being fat, so I bought some new running shoes and started dieting (again) and running.

As of today I weigh 282 pounds. I'm 6'4" so I don't look ridiculous or anything but I do have a belly. Obviously I'm overweight, but I don't feel like I'm huge or anything. I work at the Charleston airport outside helping customers, so I'm constantly walking around. Not the most strenuous job ever but I'm not sitting at a desk either.

I went for a run today. It wasn't exactly a run. More like a walk/run. The neighborhood where I live is kind of shaped like a comb. One back street with lots of streets branching off of it. So I'd walk up one of the branch streets, then run back down it. Walk up the next one, walk back down, etc. I can't run for too long. But hopefully that will change with me doing it more and more.

I plan on running at least 5 times a week.
Along with running, I'm doing the Atkins diet. Please don't send me emails or comments about how bad it is for you. I enjoy the diet, and there's been tons of studies that show it's fine. It helps you lose a lot of weight, and just like ANY diet, if you get off of it and eat junk you're going to gain weight back.

Anyway, I guess I'll update this tomorrow.
Wish me luck.
-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment